Son of Jean-Baptiste Lavoie and Marie-Clémence Longpré, Guillaume was born on Sunday, the 18th of June 1797 in St-Martin, Ile Jesus, and was baptised the same day.
On the 10th of August 1819, Guillaume marries Louise Millaire(Miller), daughter of David Miller and Suzanne Thibault, in the church of St Martin, Ile Jesus, Quebec. Guillaume was then 22 years of age.
The first 8 years of married life were a real trial for this couple. Of the first 8 children, only one son, Stanislas, survived to adulthood. Then followed the troubling times of the early 1830s. Was this the same Guillaume Lavoie, who signed a PETITION in St-Martin (TERREBONNE) on 31-03-1834 concerning the patriot movement? It would seem that Guilllaume was loyal to the crown. Further research possibly in the daily newspapers would throw some light on the subject.
In the 1842 census for the parish of St-Martin, district of Terrebonne, we find him owning 28 acres of land of which half is under cultivation.
Guillaume was but 56 years of age when he died in St Calixte, Quebec on the 9th April 1854. He was buried on the 11th April. St Calixte was also where lived his son Stanislas. Surely he had a special attachment to this son, since he was the 5th born, and the first one to survive early infancy.
His wife Marie-Louise Millaire will wait another 14 years before marrying on the 15th July 1868, Louis Labelle, son of Claude and M-Louise Valiquette.
Guillaume Lavoie and his wife Louise Millaire had 16 children of whom but a few will see adulthood:
- Guillaume Lavoie, born on the 5th, dies on the 19th, and was buried on the 22nd May 1820 in St-Martin, Ile Jésus, Québec
- Anonymous, died at birth on the 2nd, and buried on the 5th March 1822 in St-Martin, Ile Jésus, Québec
- Ignace Lavoie, was born on 2nd February, died on the 3rd and was buried on the 5th February 1823 in St Martin, Ile Jesus, Quebec.
- George Lavoie, was born on the 8th April, and will die on the 5th of August and be buried the following day, the 6th August 1824 in St Martin, Ile Jesus, Quebec.
- Stanislas Lavoie, was born on the 4th November 1825 in St-Martin, and will marry Adélaide Wolf (Woulfe) on the 12th July 1853 in St-Lin, Québec.
- Anonymous, died at birth the 7 June , and was buried on the 9th June 1826 in St-Martin, Ile Jésus, Québec
- Grégoire Lavoie, born on the 15th May 1827 in St-Martin, and dies on the 21st August, then buried on the 23rd August 1827 in St-Martin, Ile Jésus, Québec
- Isaac Lavoie, is born on the 16th September 1828, dies but 2 weeks later, on the 1st of October 1828, and is buried the 4th October 1828 in St-Martin, Ile Jésus, Québec
- Abraham Lavoie, born on the 20th and baptised on the 21st December 1829 in St-Martin, Ile Jésus, Québec. He will marry Onésime Couvrette on the 10th October 1854 in St-Martin, Ile Jésus, Québec.
- Louis-Desiré Lavoie, was born on the 18th August 1831, and dies but 3 weeks later on the 9th September, and is buried the 12th of September 1831 in St-Martin, Ile Jésus, Québec
- Louise Lavoie, is born the 12th September 1834 in St-Martin. She will marry on the 7th January 1851 Narcisse Payette-dit-St-Amour in Ste-Julienne, Québec.
- Simon Lavoie, was born and baptised on the 30th November 1836 in St-Martin. That is all that is known of him at this time.
- Philomène Lavoie, was born on the 10th August 1838 in St-Martin, and marries Louis Després on the 23rd November 1858 in St-Martin, Ile Jésus, Québec.
- Eulalie Lavoie, is born on the 5th November 1840 in St-Martin, and marries on the 13th June 1859 Venant Monette in St-Martin, Ile Jésus, Québec.
- Elie Lavoie one of the twins born on the 21st February 1844, he dies but a month later, on the 24th March and is buried on the 26th March 1844 in St Martin, Ile Jesus, Quebec.
- Isaie Lavoie the other twin is also born the 21st February 1844. Nothing more is known on this individual.